Wednesday, November 25, 2009

DXB: Ski Dubai!

Hello Fellow Dubaiers!

Well, I'd heard about Ski Dubai from other folks, and I really wanted to check it out. Sure, it's one of those gimmicky kinda things, but it's certainly worth some bragging rights at the bar.

Also, I wanted to try my hand again at skiing after a 22 year hiatus. The last time I donned skis was in 1987 (ouch!). And since I'll probably be taking my kids skiing this year for their first time (we did snowboarding last year), I wanted to reacquaint myself.



Until the tram gets in service, the best way to get to and from the Mall is via a cab. It's a 20-30 minute ride from the Festival City Marriot, and will cost you about 50 dirhams, which is about $14.


The 2 hour skiing pass costs 180 dirhams ($49) and that covers everything except a hat and gloves. Yes, the snowsuit and jacket are provided. There is a little upper arm zippered pocket which is where you're supposed to keep your little RFID lift ticket. That way, you can easily scan it each time you enter the chairlift line. It will tell you how much time you have remaining

You'll probably want to bring a hat and gloves as it's pretty cold in there, as it should be. They keep it at -1 Celsius, just below the freezing mark, but you can manage without. You'll just be mildly uncomfortable, but its just for 2 hours anyway... I'd wear long pants, and a long sleeve shirt would be nice. You can bring a few more layers and rent a locker if you want to have more clothing options.

For an experienced skier, you'll be bored, except for the thought that your skiing on a layover when its 125 outside! There is only about 200 feet of vertical drop, and the longest run is 450 yards long. But I had a lot of fun nonetheless. The snow is actually pretty good. Not powder, but well made man made snow. The lack of sun helps to keep out the slushy and icy spots that an east coast skier might be acquainted with.



The quad chair lift goes up to a midway optional drop off point, and then continues the rest of the way up to the top. The queue forms just like at any other ski resort. The lift is a bit slow at times, however.

Overall, I'd give the Ski Dubai thing a thumbs up. It such a unique experience to ski indoors in a desert that it allows you to accept the various shortcomings with a grin!

Below is a short video of my Ski Dubai experience... Enjoy!

No comments: