Sunday, September 7, 2008

LHR: La Tasca Restaurant

La Tasca Spanish Tapas Restaurant and Bar
30–34
James Street
West End - London
W1U 1ER
La Tasca (James St)

My crew left me to fend for myself at the Hilton, saying that they were going to a Tapas bar. They gave me directions to 'La Tasca', and I told them I'd meet up with them and a bit.

Since it was raining, it was a good day to go forth with purchasing an 'Oyster Card' (blogged). Once I got that all straightened out, I was on my way. I got on at Edgeware Rd Station for the Circle Line, and changed over to the Jubilee line at Baker Street. Get off at Bond Street. You'll walk west on Oxford for just a tad and then right (north) on James Street. La Tasca is just a few hundred feet down on the right, directly after you pass an outdoorsy cul-de-sac street. Apparently, this street is quite a happenin' scene for the pre-theater crowd. The rain on the day I went put a damper on the festivities on that day unfortunately. Here's a Google Map Link.

My buddies had decided to walk and got caught in the rainshower. Aside from the wetness, they didn't mind the walk. Plan on strolling about 30 minutes or so from the Hilton Metropole.

I got there after most of the food was already eaten. It got high marks from 3 of the 4 pilots. The fourth, who is into culinary arts, gave it passing grades saying it was fine for thawed out freezer food. But he probably knows too much...

The staff was extrememly friendly and helpful. I was a bit caught off guard when the waitress turned out to be French. I see that quite a lot in London. You go to an ethnic eatery, and the employees are often far removed from that ethnicity.

A very nice American couple sat across the aisle, and they ordered the same dish. They were kind enough to allow me to take the picture of it for blogging purposes. The man was an old Navy vet, and got a big kick out of my harmonica and my rendition of "Anchors Aweigh!"

I did get there in time for desserts. As a group, we ordered the Flan and the Orange Cheesecake with pleny of spoons to go around. The two dishes were very good!

So, if you feel and urge to nibble on some Spanish tapas while sipping a pint, head on over to La Tasca. You'll especially appreciate when the weather is nice towards the weekend, as the entire street gets into the aciton.

Enjoy!

Tim









A palatable table wine according to the regulars...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog explaining all the main points very awesomely. Thanks for sharing this knowledgeable post.
Metropole Bar & Eatery